Thursday, June 15, 2017

It has been five years since I was diagnosed.

Well, it has been almost five years since I had my first colonoscopy and found out I had colon cancer. I had surgery in the new few weeks and was cancer free for almost a year. In December right before Christmas I found out that my cancer was back and had spread to my liver. We immediately started chemotherapy. For six months I was infused with medicines in 3.5 hour sessions every three weeks as well as daily pills. My side effects were not horrible but I did get neuropathy in finger and feet. Coldness, sensitive to pressure, blisters, etc. I guess the worst was that one of the medicines built up in my system and was causing issues with my mind. My wife said I was a different person at that time. The good news is that all this effort shrank the lesions on my liver.

I am now on a 30 minute infusion every three weeks that has no side effects that I am aware of. They will come, according to the doctor. He says I will be on these for the rest of my life. I am glad I survived and recommend colonoscopies to everyone starting at age 50.


No comments:

Post a Comment